Thursday, December 2, 2010

Letitia Montoya Running for State Dem Chair

Letitia Montoya of Santa Fe, who has run unsuccessfully several times for secretary of state and state senator and who worked on the recent campaign of Secretary of State Mary Herrera, is challenging incumbent state Democratic Chairman Javier Gonzales for his position.

Two local Democrats today showed me a copy of an email Montoya has sent to party members.

Among her promises is to hold elected Democratic officials accountable if they supported Republicans in the election. That's bound to be a reference to the Herrera race. At least six Democratic county clerks, including Santa Fe County Clerk Valerie Espinoza, supported Herrera's Republican opponent Dianna Duran, who beat Herrera by a 15-point margin.

Gonzales hasn't announced his plans. However, one Dem I talked to said he sent out some real nice Thanksgiving cards last month, so that might be one clue.

Here's a cut-and-paste copy of Montoya's letter.

To all my fellow democrats:
 
I would first like to wish you and your families a Joyous Holiday Season.  I want to thank you again for all the hard work you put into this last election.  I have received many calls from many people throughout the state asking me to run for NM State Democratic Chair.  We need a strong and hard working State Chair that will protect our candidates from media and republican attacks.  
 
This last election made me upset that we lost the 3 highest statewide positions, several legislative races and numerous local races to the republicans. Why did this happen?  No coordination from the state Democratic Party.  That is why I am going to run for NM State Democratic Chair.
 
This is what I would like to implement.  I would work closely with the County Chairs because they are a great resource and know how to organize their counties to get candidates elected. Create a better calendar system with ALL events that are happening in each county. This last election no one knew what was going on in every county.  The website calendar must be updated EVERYDAY.  We need to create a system to build from the bottom on up. This means we have to work with City, County, and State candidates to piggy back on each other (phone banking and door to door for ALL candidates). We need to create better communication out reach for all candidates.  Outreach programs MUST get more democrats involved, campaign training schools, and an updated website. Last but not least is to start holding county central members, state central members and elected Democrat officials ACCOUNTABLE FOR HELPING REPUBLICANS.
 

I have BS in Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science and a Masters in Education Youth at Risk. I owned a Financial Services company for over 10 years and was the COO. Before that I was a stay at home mom and home schooled my children for 4 years.  I have been on many boards and I currently sit on the American Cancer Society committee. I am also a cancer survivor, I was Secretary of the State Democratic Party for two terms, State Central member and two time National Delegate.
I ask you for your support to get me elected as your next NM State Democratic Party Chair. I will make you proud because I am not afraid to work hard for what I believe in and what I believe in is the DEMOCRATIC PARTY.
Thank You,
Letitia Montoya