Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Funny Cigarettes

These tax stamps are old (1943)
I stole this image from www.ericjackson.com 
In  today's New Mexican I wrote about two cases of Indian leaders who have gotten into trouble for having businesses that sold cigarettes without the required state tax stamps.

The first case is that of Paul Rainbird, former lieutenant governor of San Ildefonso Pueblo and head of the Southwest Association for Indian Affairs (which sponsors Santa Fe Indian Market) . He was sentenced to prison last week for his Internet smoke business.

The other case is current secretary of the state Indian Affairs Department, Arthur Allison, whose store near Farmington, at least earlier this year, was selling cigarette without tax stamps as well as a brand of cigarettes, Seneca, which isn't on the state list of approved brands.

Attorney General Gary King wrote to Gov. Susana Martinez about this in May (that letter is HERE) but the Associated Press was able to buy the forbidden cigarettes in Allison's store in June.

Martinez's spokesman Scott Darnell said yesterday  that since then, Allison has transferred ownership of the store to his son, who had been running the store for more than a year.

I'd asked the Attorney General's Office about the status of its investigation into Allison's store. Spokesman Phil Sisneros told me this morning. He said the office "is now focusing our efforts on the manufacturers of the cigarettes." They want the Seneca manufacturers to pay escrowmoney that was in question.

28 comments:

  1. I think I have really come on the right place for getting the perfect info.weight loss pills that work

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!! universal life insurance

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit realize out of the most other topics.click here

    ReplyDelete
  4. You people have actually provided the best blogs that are easy to understand for the folks. North Carolina cash loan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have really come on the right place for getting the perfect info.
    Detox Drinks

    ReplyDelete
  6. The information in this blog is extremely useful for the people. AHA Online ACLS Certification

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!! comment pirater un compte facebook

    ReplyDelete
  8. I constantly emailed this site post page to all my friends, because if prefer to read it then my all friends will too.



    Software House in Hyderabad Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys allow it to be quite simple for all your folks available.
    vietnam visa

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!! glass balustrade brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your articles are purely enough for me. vietnam holiday

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have seen so many sites but never saw this type of work that has won my heart!!
    Buy Follistatin

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of the most important blogs that I have seen, keep it up!
    quotes on car insurance

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I have really come on the right place for getting the perfect info. mori lee julietta

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blogs and its stuff magnetize me to return again n again.
    mango exporter pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, just desired to let you know, I enjoyed this blog post. It had been funny. Carry on posting!

    en/vietnam travel

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, having read this awesome written piece I’m also pleased to fairly share my familiarity here with colleagues.is bubblegum casting legitimate

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really amazing blog, I’d love to discover some extra information.buy twitter followers UK

    ReplyDelete
  20. The blog is good enough, keep up writing such type of posts. dwi in new york

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fascinating information I haven’t been experienced such information in quite a long time. ny criminal attorney

    ReplyDelete
  22. This blog is fully fabulous in all aspects.

    free media player

    ReplyDelete
  23. This matter is down to earth, hats off buds out there.
    credit repair

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your blogs and its stuff magnetize me to return again n again.

    best security system

    ReplyDelete