Friday, February 24, 2012

Dede Feldman Leaving Senate

Sen. Dede Feldman, who has represented her northwest Albuquerque district for 16 years, will not seek re-election to the state Senate this year.

In an email to constituents, Feldman wrote:

Now it is time for me to move on into new fields, and clear the way for someone new to carry the torch for Senate District 13 in Santa Fe. I have been honored and humbled to serve the people of the North Valley—and beyond.


But here's the part I like best: "I will step up my blog and continue my e-mail newsletter. And stay tuned. I am working on a book, hopefully out next year, on how the New Mexico legislature really works."

That's a book I'll read.

Democrat Feldman joins a growing list of senators not seeking re-election. In the past week, Sens. Clint Harden of Clovis and Vern Asbill of Carlsbad, both Republicans, have announced their intentions to retire. Sen. Eric Griego, D-Albuquerque, is seeking a Congressional seat.

Also either Sen. Rod Adair or Sen. Bill Burt won't be back next year. The two Republicans are pitted against each other due to redistricting. (I guess it's possible both won't be returning, but that southeastern district would be pretty tough for a Democrat to win.)

So it looks like there's going be a significant number of new faces in the Senate next year.

UPDATE: 12:10 pm The plot thickens. Rep. Bill O'Neill just announced that he's giving up his House seat to run for Feldman's Senate seat. O'Neill's House district is considered a swing district, which O'Neill won by just a hair in 2008.
“Residents of this area know my work in the House, and I know their keen interest in having legislators work together," O'Neill said in an email announcement. "I loved being in the House, and hope that experience will help build consensus on key issues facing our state.”