Monday, January 5, 2009

MORE ON THE RICHARDSON WITHDRAWAL

I have to admit I was caught off guard Sunday morning by the news of Bill Richardson's withdrawal of his Commerce secretary nomination.
Richardson campaigning in Concord, New Hampshire, January 6, 2008
I've been off work for the past week and was expected to go back to the office on Monday. Shortly after 11 a.m. Sunday, I received a call on my cell phone from my Capitol bureau partner Kate Nash asking if I'd heard the news. When she said that Richardson was withdrawing, I assumed she was razzing me about having to go back to work Monday. No, I'm serious," she said. "It's on MSNBC."

Vacation over.

Before I even had the chance to go to my living room to turn on the TV, the phone rang. It was MSNBC. Even though I knew absolutely nothing about Richardson's withdrawal, they wanted to interview me about the background on the CDR grand jury.

Just seconds after I finished with MSNBC, the phone rang again. It was CNN radio seeking an interview. I did that one and a couple of hours later a brief interview with a radio station in Washington, D.C.

Later I discovered several messages on my work phone voice mail from ABC and CBS, while an editor relayed a request to me from the Fox Business Network. Sorry guys.

Somehow through all this I actually wrote a couple of stories of my own for The New Mexican. You can see them HERE and HERE. You also should read Kate's story about how this news affects Lt. Gov. Diane Denish and the upcoming session of the Legislature. That one's HERE.

XXXXX

Speaking of Denish, the Lt. Gov was on the mind of uber-pundit Larry Sabato, with whom I was e-mailing Sunday afternoon.

Poor Diane Denish! What must it be like to think you’re going to be governor, prepare a transition, and then discover you’re stuck being the fifth wheel of a wagon! The royal coach turned into a pumpkin. I would have loved to have heard that call from Bill to Diane.

You and me both, Larry. Something tells me there was no happy chatter about working together "to tackle challenges at home, to craft a workable budget with the legislature and to strengthen our economy to make sure that every New Mexico family has the opportunity to succeed," like Denish's Sunday press release was talking about.