Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Another Dem Representative Backing Cervantes

I just talked to Rep. Donna Irwin, D-Deming, a few minutes ago. She said if Rep. Joe Cervantes, D-Las Cruces, decides to run for House Speaker against current Speaker Ben Lujan, she'll support him.

"In the past, I supported Kenny Martinez for Speaker," she said. "You probably recall that I nominated him. I think it's time for a new speaker. Joseph is my office mate and I think he'd be a great choice for speaker."

After a little game of telephone tag yesterday, I finally connected with Cervantes. He answered "no comment" as to whether he's running.

Earlier today, Heath Haussamen quoted Rep. Andy Nunez, D-Hatch, saying that there’s no one more qualified for the job than Cervantes.

I also ran into Rep. Jim Trujillo, D-Santa Fe. He said nobody's called him about a possible challenge to  Lujan. "I think everyone knows that I'd support the speaker," Trujillo said.