Friday, April 1, 2011

Eric Griego Forms Exploratory Committee

Anticipating that incumbent CD1 Congressman Martin Heinrich will soon jump into the U.S. Senate race, (the talk is as early as tomorrow) state Sen. Eric Griego of Albuquerque announced he's starting an exploratory committee to look at running for Heinrich's seat in the Democratic primary.

In a news release, Griego said:
"We need a Democratic Congressional candidate who will unapologetically stand up for working families and take on those who would put large corporate interests ahead of our children, our environment and our local businesses. ... I am seriously considering entering the Congressional race, but need to discuss my final decision with my family, my employer, and of course my supporters. This is an important decision not just for me and my family, but for our whole community and it warrants serious soul searching and a sober review of what kind of Democrat we want fighting for us in Washington”

Griego is a former Albuquerque city councilor who three years ago ousted incumbent Democrat James Taylor for his state Senate seat. He quickly became known as one of the most liberal voices in the Senate.

He currently works as executive director of New Mexico Voices for Children, a non-profit group based in Albuquerque.