Thursday, August 11, 2011

Some Non-Block Tidbits

I just realized that all my blog posts this week have been about Jerome Block, Jr. --(who, as expected, was removed as PRC vice chairman this morning. He'll be replaced by Commissioner Theresa Becenti-Aguilar. And no, he hasn't resigned at this writing.)

But there are a few other things going on.

Some sad news from earlier this week is that Republican "fix-it man" Lou Gallegos died this weekend at the age of 72. He served as chief of staff for Gov. Gary Johnson as well as U.S. Sen. Pete Domenici. I didn't know him well, but the few time I had to deal with Lou I found him very friendly and helpful. My obit for Lou can be found HERE.

Cargo and MeFor some happier news, next week the bronze bust of former Gov. David F. Cargo will be formally unveiled at the Capitol next Thursday (Aug. 18.)

The bust, by artist Storm Townsend was on display briefly at the Capitol a year ago, when Hal Truesdale, a Capitol security guard, snapped this photo. But the Legislature had to approve it for permanent display.

My story on that is HERE.