Thursday, January 12, 2012

Nick Salazar is IN

Last week longtime New Mexico House stalwart Nick Salazar said he was considering not seeking re-election because of the new redistricting plan that would pit him against a fellow Democrat, Rep, Thomas Garcia.

However, Salazar, a Rio Arriba County resident, just dropped by the Roundhouse press room to say that he will run again.

"If I win, I win. If I lose, I lose," he told reporters.

In a news release, Salazar said, "Due to encouragement and support by my colleagues, friends, and constituents, along with my priest, doctors, and most important of all, my family, I have decided to be a candidate for re-election in June as state representative for District 40, which is now comprised of Rio Arriba, Mora and Colfax Counties."

 Salazar, who is the chairman of the House Rules Committee, has been a representative since 1973.

Salazar said he's talked to Garcia who indicated he's running. I haven't heard from Garcia yet. If I do, I'll update this post.


UPDATE: 6:34 pm  I spoke with Rep. Garcia earlier. He said he'll make an announcement near the close of the upcoming session -- but that he will be running for some elected position this year.