Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rep. Rhonda King NOT Seeking Re-election

Rep. Rhonda King, D-Stanley, has joined the growing list of legislators not seeking re-election. Her sprawling  District 50 recently gained the community of Eldorado, southeast of Santa Fe.

King,  is a cousin of Attorney General Gary King,a niece of former Gov. Bruce King and wife of Public Regulation Commission director Johnny Montoya.

In an email statement, she had this to say:

“For the past 14 years, I have been honored to serve and work with the people of District 50 as well as the people of New Mexico,” said Rep. King. 
“I am very proud of what we have accomplished together. As Vice Chair of House Education Committee and as a member of House Appropriations, I have worked hard to craft policies and implement programs to improve the lives of all New Mexicans, by promoting open and accountable government; supporting small businesses; protecting our environment by supporting renewable energy; creating jobs; improving our educational system and passing measures to protect our children.”

“At this point of my life, I want to spend more time with my family, including my young daughter. I also look forward to continuing my service to the community, particularly my work on the Tri-County Juvenile Justice Board which provides programs to help improve the lives of youth in our communities.”

“I thank my constituents for granting me the honor and privilege of representing them and for their support. It has been a pleasure to work together to find solutions to problems affecting us all. Being your Representative has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.”

“I thank Speaker Ben Lujan and my colleagues in the Legislature for their camaraderie. Last but never least; I am ever appreciative of the love and support of my parents and my entire family.”


King is one of at least nine of the 70 representatives who are not seeking re-election next year. There also are two districts in which incumbents are pitted against each other, so at least 11 representatives won't be back next year.