Tuesday, April 30, 2013

It's Official: Hector's In for AG

Hector Balderas Running for SenateTo absolutely nobody's surprise, state Auditor Hector Balderas has made it official. He's running for attorney general.

In a letter to supporters, Balderas wrote:

My number one goal as Attorney General will be keeping our families safe. I’ll protect our children and consumers, fight as hard for our Veterans as they fought for us, and ensure that we stop discrimination based on gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability, so that all can pursue the opportunity to thrive. I will also improve and promote greater accountability in the nonprofit and corporate sectors so that all New Mexicans can enjoy a better quality of life

This is what you call your basic "soft" announcement. Balderas said "This fall we’ll have a big campaign kick-off where I’ll more fully articulate my vision for how New Mexico’s Attorney General’s office can move our state forward."

He urged prospective supporters to sign up for news alerts on his website.

Balderas might be facing former Public Regulation Commissioner Jason Marks, a lawyer from Albuquerque in the Democratic primary. He's got a campaign website, but he told me Tuesday afternoon that his campaign is still in "exploratory" mode.

"I'm definitely out there talking to Democrats," Marks said. He said he'll make a final decision in about a month.

UPDATED 2:13 pm. After talking with Marks, I changed the original text to make clear that he has not announced yet.