Sunday, July 14, 2013

Feds: NM Human Services Acted Within Federal Regs

A little earlier tonight, state Human Services Department spokesman Matt Kennicott forwarded an email to me (and I assume others) from the director of media relations at the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The message is an apparent response to an inquiry on whether Human Services was in compliance with federal regulations when they suspended payments to 15 behavioral health providers last month.

The email, from Brian Cook of CMS said:

"Based on information currently available, CMS believes HSD acted in accordance with federal regulation and CMS guidance in imposing the temporary payment suspension."

I probably wouldn't get very far trying to follow this up on a Sunday night. But I'll look more into this on Monday.

Meanwhile, my story in today's New Mexican about the company that conducted the audit that led to suspending the payments can be found HERE.