Thursday, March 1, 2012

More Legislative Shuffle

Heath Haussamen is reporting that Sen. Cynthia Nava, D-Las Cruces, is stepping down and that Rep. Joe Cervantes, D-Las Cruces will be running for her seat. I guess this means he has given up on becoming Speaker of the House.

Meanwhile, Capitol Report New Mexico quotes  Tomas Garcia, D-Ocate saying he's is considering running for the Senate seat held for the past 20-plus years by Pete Campos, D-Las Vegas. Garcia's House district has been consolidated with that of Rep. Nick Salazar of Espanola.

If Garcia makes the Senate run, that would clear the way for another term for Salazar, who has been in the House since before I was old enough to drink.

Seems like there's more of these announcements every day. Have I missed anyone?

UPDATE: 6:15 pm I spoke with Garcia myself a little earlier. He confirmed what he told Capitol Report -- that he's gathering petitions for his House race but "keeping the door open" for a possible Senate race. I just spoke with Sen. Campos, who confirmed that he is seeking re-election.