Thursday, April 11, 2013

Keller Testing the Water?

Yesterday morning, Sen. Tim Keller, D-Albuquerque, tweeted a link to a newspaper column about him. The headline was "One Democrat who could beat Gov. Martinez."


Nothing unusual about that. Lots of politicians tweet links to positive press about themselves. Even I re-tweet nice things said about me on Twitter -- or at least I will if that would ever happen.

It was only later, after mentioning it to the author, my office-mate Milan Simonich of Texas-New Mexico Newspapers Group, that I realized the column was published more than a month ago.

Maybe Keller had just seen the column, which said "he is as close to an ideal candidate as any political party will find."

Or maybe he just wants to make sure everyone else didn't miss the piece, which declared "As a businessman from a melting pot district, Keller is the Democrat who can bridge authentic values of his party with a jobs agenda. He stands out as the Democrats' best bet to unseat Martinez."

I asked Keller yesterday whether we should be expecting an announcement.

"Nothing soon," he said.

I say stay tuned.