Sunday, March 30, 2014

ROUNDHOUSE ROUNDUP: The Politix Fireball Saga

After a few stormy days as Congressman Steve Pearce’s press secretary, Rebekah Stevens, better known to New Mexico’s political Tweetosphere as “Politix Fireball,” was forced to resign.

It’s pretty rare for a politician’s spokeswoman to become a news story, much less a campaign issue. But that’s what happened with Stevens.

Her resignation came the day after Pearce’s Democratic opponent for the 2nd Congressional District seat, Roxanne “Rocky” Lara, used Stevens to try to raise funds.

... But I’m going to go out on a limb here. I believe that even though she was far less tactful than most Republicans I know and frequently went over the top in her tweets, I think it’s unfair to label her a racist or anti-Semitic. I’ve followed her tweets and read her blog, and have not found anything to back up such charges.

For the rest of this column go to The Santa Fe New Mexican HERE

Note: Sometime after I wrote this column late last week, the PolitixFireball Twitter account has gone from "protected" (private) to public again. The online version of the column has been changed to reflect that.