Sunday, March 20, 2011

Looking Back at The Session ... For the Children


When I arrived at Wood Gormley Elementary School for Gov. Susana Martinez's press conference and saw a bunch of kids lining up to get into what was going to be the background of a photo op, the first thing I thought was, "Oh no! The governor must not have read my Roundhouse Roundup column of Nov. 2, 2006!"

It was there I wrote these words of wisdom.

Any time an elected official gets a film crew together the real purpose is political — whether it’s for a “public service” announcement or an actual campaign commercial. Lets not kid ourselves. ...

Political rhetoric these days is filled with appeals for “the children.” Politicians of every stripe are always asking, “How does this affect the children?” and “What kind of message does this send to the children?” And politicians of ever stripe love to use children as political props. 



Sometimes I wonder if we’re electing someone to be a public servant or to be Mr. Rogers. ...


You can probably tell that while many wring their hands over “negative” ads, it’s some of the “positive” ads that give me the willies.


I know this appeal probably is useless, but I wish the politicians would leave the kids out of it. Surely there’s some brave candidates out there who would pledge to refrain from using youngsters as political props.


Do it for the children.

Now I'm probably going to be accused of being "insensitive to the needs of our children."

Anywho, my take on how Martinez fared in the 2011 session is HERE.


I'll be on vacation next week, so don't expect very much action on this blog for the next few days. But I'll be back.