Thursday, March 10, 2011

Richardson: Governors Should Be Respected, But She Hasn't Respected Me

Richardson assaulted by a gang of wild reporters
When former Gov. Bill Richardson came out of his cable television news interview at the Capitol newsroom a few minutes ago, he was greeted by virtually the entire Roundhouse press corps.

"Hey, I'm a private citizen, guys," he said, moments after sharing his views on Libya to millions of viewers.

I asked him what he thought of Gov. Susana Martinez's push to end driver's licenses for illegal immigrants. "I said I would not get into commenting on legislative matters. I'm not gonna do it," he said.

Asked my colleague Trip Jennings how he thinks Martinez is doing, Richardson said, "I really am not going to comment. I think that every governor should respect previous governors, although this governor has not respected me."

He wouldn't elaborate. "That's enough, guys. But it's good to see you guys."