Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I've Been a Bad Blogger

Sorry, I've been too busy to blog today.

I had the unpleasant duty of going over to New Mexico Magazine today and interviewing several old friends and former co-workers who were laid off today. Some of them -- Emily Drabanski, Arnold Vigil and Walter Lopez have been there for more than 20 years.

The magazine laid off seven of its 17 employees. Also laid off were 16 employees of Expo New Mexico, which is responsible for the New Mexico State Fair.


UPDATE:  Read my story HERE.

But back to my friends ...

I worked with Arnold at the Journal North for three years in the '80s. Walter and I worked together at the New Mexican  for a couple of years when I first came here in 1987. Emily and I never actually worked together, but back in the early '80s we were both covering music (she for the New Mexican, me for the Santa Fe Reporter.) We were "competitors" back then. But at least a couple of times she and her husband gave me rides to the Line Camp to review shows there.

What can I say? I love these guys. They're a talented bunch and I'm sure they will land on their feet.

xxx

I haven't paid close attention to redistricting. I do know the Senate apparently is still tweaking their redistricting plan. The current one pits two southeast Republican senators, Rod Adair and Bob Burt, against each other. And in Albuquerque, Republican John Ryan would be in the same district as Democrat Dede Feldman.

By the time you read this, that plan might be in the dustbin. (And even if it passes, there's no way Gov. Martinez would sign it.)

The Senate Judiciary is supposed to meet later tonight. But a planned Senate floor session has been cancelled. They're coming back in the morning.

And so will I.