Wednesday, November 2, 2011

R.I.P. Gerald Gonzales

I was shocked Tuesday to learn of the death of former Santa Fe Country Manager Gerald Gonzales. He died of cancer at the age of 68.

Gerald, a lawyer by profession, had a number of high-profile government jobs. I knew him in recent years mainly as a spokesman for state Senate Democrats. He always was pleasant and easy to work with.

At one point in his career he was chief of staff for Tom Udall when Udall first went to Congress.

Udall, now a U.S. senator issued a statement Tuesday praising Gonzales:

"Gerald Gonzales was thoughtful, intelligent and loved New Mexico, its people and our history. That is why I hired him as my first chief of staff in the House of Representatives. He had a long career in New Mexico government and Jill and I are saddened to hear of his passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with Gerald’s wife Carrie and his entire family at this difficult time."
My colleague Tom Sharpe has more on Gerald in today's New Mexican.