Monday, April 25, 2011

It's Official: Ben Ray NOT Running for Senate

Ben Ray Lujan, DemMost people didn't really believe he was going to run for Senate in the first place, but Politico just quoted a statement from a spokesman for U.S. Rep. Ben Ray Lujan saying ....

"I appreciate the outpouring of support I have received while traveling around New Mexico these past few months, and my focus will continue to remain on serving the hard-working men and women of New Mexico — fighting to turn our economy around, put people back to work, and move our state forward. After careful consideration, I have decided that I will not seek the Democratic nomination for the U.S. Senate race. I look forward to building on my work as Chair of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus’ BOLD PAC and as a member of the DCCC’s recruiting committee to recruit strong candidates who reflect the growing diversity of our country and who will be a part of our effort to take back the House. With BOLD PAC’s historic first quarter fundraising numbers and Census numbers showing the growth in the Hispanic community across the country, I am excited about the favorable position we will be in to energize Hispanic voters and help elect strong Democratic candidates."

Meanwhile, here's the declaration of candidacy for Hector Balderas I wrote about last week. Balderas is expected to officially announce tomorrow.

Hector for Senate Declaration of Candidacy