Monday, May 30, 2011

R.I.P. Minnie Gallegos

Photo by Barbara Wold
Minnie Gallegos, the first woman elected to head the Santa Fe County Democratic Party, died Sunday. She was in her 80s.

Gallegos was chairwoman of the county party between late 2001 and early 2009.In the 1980s, she was director of Santa Fe County Housing.

Robert Adams, who worked with Gallegos in the party, wrote on his Facebook page that Gallegos died surrounded by family.

Richard Ellenberg, who succeeded Gallegos as party chairman, wrote in an email, "We will all miss her. She was a dedicated and hardworking activist and former County Chair for most of a decade.

"I will remember her as the generous and warm person who welcomed me into the Party and mentoring me."

Details on funeral arramngements are pending, Ellenberg said.

My fondest memory of Minnie was during a Bill Richardson campaign bus trip through northern New Mexico  in October 2002 that I was covering. I learned that she had a sharp sense of humor and was quick to laugh.

She always was good-natured and helpful every time I had to call her during her time as chairwoman. It's down-to-Earth people like Minnie who make politics fun. I'll miss her.

UPDATE: 5-31-11 I wrote a full obit for Minnie for Wednesday's paper. You can find it HERE