Thursday, May 2, 2013

Javier Won't Say If He's Running For Mayor ... But He DOES Love Santa Fe

Javier Gonzales Calling Meeting to Order
Javier Gonzales
Following Mayor David Coss' announcement this morning that he won't be seeking re-election, there has been some speculation whether Javier Gonzales -- who just last week finished his term as state Democratic chairman -- will run for the office once held by his dad, George Gonzales.

After all, just last month Gonzales told me that he'd be considering running for elected office.

Earlier this afternoon, Gonzales released a statement thanking and praising Coss for his years as mayor. His statement concluded:

I love our city. I was born and raised here and believe we have a bright future. I appreciate the encouragement I've received regarding a mayoral run but now we need to focus on our gratitude for Mayor Coss' service."
Hmmm. Doesn't sound like a guy not running for mayor.

Check out the New Mexican tomorrow for more on Coss' decision by my colleague Julie Ann Grimm