Monday, November 2, 2009

Eichenberg Reaffirms Support for Denish

Sen. Tim Eichenberg, D-Albuquerque, in a statement e-mailed to me and several other political bloggers, spoke about his recent prediction that Lt. Gov. Diane Denish would lose in her race for governor because of what he called her “complacency or complicity with the ‘pay-to-play’” atmosphere in the Richardson administration.

But notice he's not retracting his remarks nor is he challenging the accuracy of the initial report by photographer/blogger Mark Bralley.

Here's what the senator said:

I find it unfortunate that my comments were used to create division among Democrats and the Democratic Party, I will continue to support both! I realize my comments have stirred emotions on both side of the aisle but I hope they will provoke continued discussions on ethics reform, transparency and accountability.

"As Lt Gov Diane Denish continues the fight to bring meaningful ethics reform to Santa Fe, I will proudly vote for her proposals to make government more transparent and accountable to the taxpayers. She can lead New Mexico into the future and there is no doubt in my mind who I will vote for in November.