Friday, November 20, 2009

First Time I Saw Bruce in the Rotunda

I just went to pay my respects to Gov. King, who is lying in state in the Rotunda. The crowd is much smaller now than it was earlier this afternoon. Family, friends and admirers are still there now.

Seeing the former governor's casket there reminded me of the first time I saw Bruce King there. It was New Year's Day 1971. I was driving my '63 Falcon around downtown when I drove by the Roundhouse by way of Don Gaspar Avenue. I saw several people going in and I remembered. It was inauguration day for the new governor.

I found a place to park and went in, just in time to see him take the oath. The place was full, but the ceremony was nice and simple.

The former governor's funeral is 10 am tomorrow at the Moriarty High School gym.