As promised, Gov. Bill Richardson named his task force to study possible tax increases before the next legislative session.
And, like most task forces appointed by the administration, it's a monster. More than 40 members. Maybe they can meet in the Senate Chambers.
The group includes representatives of banking, environmentalism, business, labor, ranching, the alcohol and tobacco lobbys, the Catholic Church, government, educators, liberal advocacy groups ...
Let's hope they have better luck than the 2003 Blue Ribbon tax task force.
Here's the list of members.
* Rick Homans, Secretary, Taxation and Revenue Department
Task Force Members
* Lieutenant Governor Diane Denish or Designee
* Mark Thompson, Lieutenant Governor, Acoma Pueblo
* Jim Berry, Executive Director, Las Cruces Chamber of Commerce
* Terri L. Cole, President and Chief Executive Officer, Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce
* Raymond Mondragon, Chair, New Mexico Economic Development Partnership
* Alex Romero, President and Chief Executive Officer, Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce
* Chuck Wellborn, Wellborn Strategies, LLC
* Sharon Lombardi, Executive Director, Dairy Producers of New Mexico
* David S. Smoak, President, RSF Land and Cattle Co.
* Don Chalmers, Principal Dealer, Don Chalmers Auto
* Jerry Walker, President and Chief Executive Officer, Independent Community Bankers Association of New Mexico
* Jim Horton, Director, Public Policy and Government, Associated General Contractors
* Odes Armijo-Caster, President, Renewable Energy Industries Association
* Leland Gould, Chair, New Mexico Oil and Gas Association
* Jim Hinton, President, Presbyterian Health Services
* Michelle Welby, Director, Medical Operations, Molina Healthcare of New Mexico
* Jami Grindatto, Corporate Affairs Director, Intel
* Tony Trujillo, Government Relations Director, Phelps Dodge
* Kathi Bearden, Editor, Hobbs Sun News
* Steve Anaya, Executive Vice President, Realtors Association of New Mexico
* Carol Wight, Chief Executive Officer, New Mexico Restaurant Association
* Bob Barberousse, Cigar Association of America
* Fred O'Cheskey, New Mexico Beverage Wholesalers and Southern Wine & Spirits
* Thom Turbett, President and Chief Executive Officer, Independent Insurance Agents of New Mexico
* Bob Murphy, Executive Director, Economic Forum of Albuquerque
* Rick Clemente, Production Central ABQ
* Leanne Leith, Political and Programs Director, Conservation Voters New Mexico
* Ruth Hoffman, Director, Lutheran Advocacy Ministry-New Mexico
* Allen Sanchez, Director, New Mexico Conference of Catholic Bishops President, St. Joseph Community Health
* Gayla Brumfield, Mayor, City of Clovis
* Bill Fulginiti, Executive Director, New Mexico Municipal League
* Paul Gutierrez, Executive Director, New Mexico Association of Counties
* Charles Bowyer, Executive Director, National Education Association-New Mexico
* Carolyn Abeita, Esq., Member, University of New Mexico Board of Regents
* Carter Bundy, Legislative Director, AFSME
* Pat D'Arco, Chairman, Rio Rancho Planning & Zoning Board
* Jackson Gibson, Member, District 6, Transportation Commission
* Bill Jordan, Policy Director, New Mexico Voices for Children
* Leo Garza, Legislative Committee Chair, AARP New Mexico
* Richard Anklam, President and Executive Director, New Mexico Tax Research Institute
* Fred Nathan, Executive Director, Think New Mexico