Monday, February 21, 2011

Heinrich "Actively Considering" Senate Run

On Friday I asked all three current congressman from New Mexico whether they might be considering a run for Jeff Bingman's Senate seat next year Martin Heinrich was the only I didn't hear from.

Until Sunday. Here's his answer.

"Since the announcement Friday by my friend and mentor, Senator Jeff Bingaman, that he would not seek a sixth term in the U.S. Senate, many constituents and friends across New Mexico have asked if I will run for his seat. I have not yet made a decision, but together with my wife Julie, I plan to actively consider running. Jeff Bingaman and I share a passionate concern for this great state and its people, and my decision will be based on whether I believe I can best serve New Mexico in the House or in the Senate."

For the record, spokesmen for Ben Ray Lujan and Steve Pearce said their bosses were focused on their current jobs.