Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A New Day for Same-Day Registration?


Once again Rep. Jim Trujillo, D-Santa Fe, is carrying a bill that would allow voters to register right before voting at early voting sites.

HB123 also would allow voters to register at their county clerk's office when in-person absentee voting is allowed. The registration would be allowed starting 28 days before an election, running the Saturday before Election Day.

Currently if you don't get registered about a month before the election, you're out of luck.

Last year, a similar bill carried by Trujillo passed the House but died in the Senate.

The bill is designed to encourage people to vote, Trujillo said. Many people don't get to vote because they miss the registration cut off.

Trujillo said this morning that his bill has been endorsed by several groups including the League of Women Voters, the American Association of Retired People, the All Indian Pueblo Council, county clerks around the state and the Secretary of State.

The bill has been assigned to the House Voters and Elections and the House Consumer & Public Affairs committees.

3 comments:

  1. There is a worthy endorsement... AARP. Makes me all the more suspicious of this piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can the legislature keep their eye on the ball long enough to acknowledge the budget issues and pending backruptcy of the State? Jimminey! Same day voter registration, domestic partners, memorials honoring Humpty Dumpty - any other diversions and old standards out there to divert attention from the real issue? IT IS THE BUDGET STUPID! PLEASE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another note ... The Tax and Revenue Committee passed a bill tonight, on a partisan basis, that will give them fits with its impact if it gets to the floor - the bill could give the native americans ANOTHER 5% off of the top of severance tax revenues for infrastructure - they already get 10% (which is terrific) ... and water is next - it gets 10% of the remaining 90% (so it really gets 9%). How many pigs can we put at that trough, anyway? IT IS THE BUDGET, STUPID!

    ReplyDelete